554. Charles Bowdoin8 Fillebrown (James Bowdoin7, Hon. Thomas6, John5, John4, Thomas3, Humpfrey2 Phillibrowne, Robert1 ffilebrowne)(6658) was born in Winthrop, Kennebec County, Maine December 26, 1842.(6659) Charles died December 2, 1917 in Brookline, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, at 74 years of age.(6660)

Charles married Mary Louise Hall October 9, 1873.(6661) Louise was born May 18, 1841.(6662) Louise(6663) was the daughter of Lewis Hall and Louisa Jackson. Louise died July 1, 1887 in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, at 46 years of age.(6664) "Mrs Fillebrown was a whole-souled, breezy woman, an infectious singer, ans possessed of great fortitude in sickness. The following tribute is from a loving neighbor:

'She drew us with her sweet,sweet voice; She charmed us with her gracious ways; She held us with the affluent heart; That made a blessing of her days,

Dear heart, that held another's pain Before her own, and sought to hide With smiling face and cheery words, The shadow creeping to her side.

The shadows that with soft, swift touch, From pain and weariness, gave ease; From this life's fevered restlessness Drew her to the immortal peace!

Bereaved we are who loved her well: No more in places, where we met, To grasp her cordial hand - for us The sorrow of a long regret!

But ah! for her, her Father's house! In the celestial mansions fair The rapture of a risen soul That breathes at last the heavenly air!' Annie F. Wildman, Newton, July, 1887"

She traveled with Lewis Hall to various places circa 1869.(6665) Lewis, his second wife Ellen, and his daughters M. Louise and Caroline, now (1910) Mrs. David Humpfrey, after a twelve month trip, brought home valuable paintings and statuary, including a large painting of The Jungfrau by Julius Rose, Munich, a canvas forty-five by sixty inches, and a marble statue of 'Loreley' by C. Voss, Rome, which are now (1910) in the possession of C.B. Fillebrown at Newton.

Louise, Lewis Hall's child, resided with Lewis in Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1873.(6666) Louise, as Charles's wife, resided with him in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1874.(6667) In 1910 it was stated that "He has resided at Newton, Mass.., since 1874. His house on 'Mount Ida,' has during that time, by successive enlargements, been doubled in dimensions, under the creative genius of Mr. George F. Meacham, architect of CHanning Church and Eliot CHurch, Newton."

When Louise was age 36 and Charles Bowdoin Fillebrown was age 34 they became the parents of Louise Jackson Fillebrown September 22, 1877 in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.(6668) Louise was a parent of Margaret A. Clifford October 24, 1881.(6669) She was "adopted, though not legally." She was a 5 greats-granddaughter of Edward Jackson one of two Jacksons who were the first settlers of Newton, Massachusetts.

Charles, James Bowdoin Fillebrown's child, resided with James in Winthrop, Kennebec County, Maine circa 1845.(6670) The record isn't clear but it seems that James lived continuously on the family farm, although he and his wife did purchase his father's old home in Hallowell. By 1845 it is clear that James and the family are living on the farm and that it was their home until 1864 when they moved into Winthrop. James Bowdoin Fillebrown wrote in his journal after opening a dental office in Winthrop Village "Dec. 1848 I continued living still on the farm and carrying it on by help of my two boys, Thomas and Charles B., and hired hand, riding up in the morning and back at night, taking my dinner at the hotel."

Charles was listed on the Kent's Hill School roll as a student in Readfield, Kennebec County, Maine circa 1857.(6671) He attended "from 1857 to 1861, the spring and fall terms."

Charles was employed at Fairbanks' School as a teacher in Winthrop, Kennebec County, Maine circa 1860.(6672) "At the age of eighteen he taught, in his native town, the Fairbanks' School, in the district adjoining that of his own home. Having grown up in acquaintance of many of the forty pupils, and of most of their parents, he found this first winter's experience a happy one."

Charles was listed on the Kent's Hill School roll as a student in Readfield, Kennebec County, Maine circa 1861.(6673) He attended the spring and fall term.

Charles was employed at organization unknown as a teacher in East Winthrop, Kennebec County, Maine circa 1862.(6674) "He again taught for the winter term - December, January and February - at East Winthrop (another adjoining district) where a generation before, his grandfather had established and taught in the Baptist Church a large school for young ladies, which had considerable fame as Butler's School. Mr Fillebrown's school numbered 61 delightful pupils, aged from 6 to 22, most of them descendants of the old settlers, zealous in school and church. The previous winter, after two teachers had unfortunately failed, the term finished successfully by a veteran school-master, a returned 'missionary to India.' It was a good representative New England district school. Special mention of the visiting feature of this term may be pardoned (Charles was the author of the source document). Parents and friends were invited, and even urged to 'visit' the school on any day,at any hour, to enter without knocking, 'hang up their own things,' take any seat that was vacant, occupy them selves with needlework or otherwise, at pleasure,for a few moments, or for the session, without attention, except when occasion demanded, from either pupils or teacher, going as they came without ceremony or attention from the school. The influence of these visitors, far from being a distraction to the studiousness and decorum, operated as a promoter of both."

Charles was listed on the Exeter Academy roll as a student circa 1862.(6675) Charles served in the military November 18, 1862 in Augusta, Kennebec County, Maine.(6676) Charles spent time in the summer on 1862 participating in "military duty as one of two sergeants of un-uniformed militia in various enrollments of all persons in the town liable to military duty. This military duty included organization by election of officers, and complete preparation for the anticipated 'draft' by the government; the study of army tactics, and an examination and muster-in of the town's quota at Augusta, which the offer of fifty dollars' bounty enabled it to fill before the close of the first day, thus avoiding the draft. School was thus lost sight of in a decision to go to the war, but enlistment was delayed in deference to the advise of a devoted uncle, the Rev. Nathaniel Butler, who had hopes of securing for him a staff position. Mr. Butler, who was a brother-in-law as well as private secretary of Vice-President Hannibal Hamlin, later secured for his nephew an appointment to the staff of his college classmate and intimate friend, Major-General Berry. But youth would have its day, and the commission not being at once forthcoming, Fillebrown enlisted on November 18 at Augusta. Winthrop's quota being full, he received bounty from and was credited to the town of Pittston, having previously tried for China, Belgrade, Readfield, Mt. Vernon, Wayne, Boothbay and other towns, only to find their quotas already full. On Thanksgiving Day, he joined Capt. E. Lewis Sturtevant's Company G of Col. George M. Atwood's 24th Maine, 'nine months',' regiment, which was then, with several other Maine regiments, quarantined for three months in barracks at East New York, L.I. on account of measles. On January 12, 1863, the regiment, 800 strong, embarked at Brooklyn on board the thousand-ton, three-masted ship Lizzie Southard, of Richmond, Maine, for New Orleans, destined for participation in General Banks' Port Hudson expedition. After ten day's waiting at Fortress Monroe, the Lizzie Southard continued on her journey, weathering a big Cape Hatteras gale on January 28, and dropping anchor at the mouth of the Mississippi on February 10. The regiment disembarked at the United States Barracks, four miles below New Orleans, on February 16, after a thirty-five day's sojourn on shipboard. Ten days later the steamer Eastern Queen conveyed the regiment to Bonnet Carre on the left bank of the Mississippi River, forty-five miles by river above New Orleans, to join the Third Brigade, Second Division, 19th Army Corps, encamped between the levee and the river commanded by Brigadier-General Frank S. Nickerson, formerly Colonel of the 14th Maine. On March 28, Private Fillebrown was appointed Adjutant of the regiment by Colonel Atwood, whose son, an old Kent's Hill schoolmate, was just resigning the post. He entered at once upon three weeks of office and field duty, joining the Colonel's mess, in which was Regimental Quartermaster Oakes A. Fillebrown, of Wayne, Me."

Charles was promoted April 17, 1863.(6677) "On April 17, he received the expected letter from his uncle, the Rev. Nathaniel Butler, enclosing a commission as Second Lieutenant Company G, 11th Maine Volunteers, then stationed at Beaufort, South Carolina, together with the following autograph note: Headquarters 2d Division 3d Corps Army Potomac, February 8, 1863 To Hon. E.M. Stanton: I have the honor to request that Charles B. Fillebrown of the 24th Maine Volunteers, be assigned to duty as Aide on my staff. I am sir, With much respect, Your Obedient servant, H.G. Berry Maj. Gen'l Vols.

The desired assignment had been authorized by Secretary Stanton. The above letter was written three days after General Berry's assignment to the command of 'Fighting Joe' Hooker's old Second Division of the Third Corps, said by General Berry himself to have been 'the largest division in the army and the best, with three good brigadier-generals, five batteries of artillery, and some seventeen regiments of infantry.' Mr. Stanton is reported to have told Vice-President Hamlin that he had intended to give General Berry the command of the Army of the Potomac. The fact that General Berry was actually advancing in Hooker's wake would seem to give color to such a report. Had General Berry lived (killed, at the battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863), Lieutenant Fillebrown would have been confronted with twenty-three months of service with the Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and before Richmond. Lieutenant Fillebrown's discharge from the 24th Maine, after being delayed for a fortnight by the absence of General Banks at the front, was finally ordered by General Sherman. Meanwhile clerical employment was had in the office of the City Provost-Marshall in New Orleans at 'three dollars a day' and a room, which was shared with ex-Adjutant Atwood. On May 13 he sailed on the steamer Matanzas, Captain Liesgang, for New York, occupying a stateroom with Col. J.s. Clark, Bank's retiring Chief of Staff. Touching on the way at Key West, he reached the Atlantic Docks, Brooklyn, N.Y., May 22, 1863, and went at once to his cousin, Commander Thomas Scott Fillebrown, then Executive Officer at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Here he received the belated news that General Berry had been killed at Chancellorsville. At the same time he was informed that Brigadier-General Carter, brother-in-law of Commodore Fillebrown, was in want of a staff officer. It was thought best that Fillebrown should report at once to the Adjutant-General and the Governor at Augusta. The Governor, Hon. Abner Coburn, gave him his choice of four things: (1) To receive a commission as adjutant of the 24th Maine, and rejoin the Regiment at Port Hudson, Louisiana. (2) To join the 11th Maine, and be mustered in as already commissioned, at Beaufort, South Carolina. (3) To receive a commission in some other regiment, and be detached to serve with General Carter in Tennessee, or (4) to await the return and reorganization of the nine months' troops, whose time was nearly expired, and receive a commission in a new company. The last course was adopted as the wisest. The summer of 1863, the last on the old farm, was passed in much the same way as that of 1862. Fillebrown received enlistment papers from the Adjutant-General's office in September, and proceeded to canvas for recruits among comrades of the 24th Maine in South Wayne, Fayette, Waterville, Fairfield, China, Kendalls Mills, Litchfield, Bowdoinham, Brunswick, Richmond, Foxcroft, and Dover, and for four weeks in a main recruiting office in Gardiner. He enlisted the first man on October 26, and the eighteenth on December 15. All were mustered in on December 17 (1863), as part of 'C'' company of eighty men in the 29th Maine Veteran Volunteers, and Fillebrown was commissioned Second Lieutenant of the company. After six weeks of midwinter quarters at Camp Keys, now (1910) known as the State Camp Ground at Augusta, the regiment sailed on February 2, 1864, from Portland, Me., on the propeller De Molay; landed at New Orleans on February 16, and proceeded on the 20th to join Bank's Army at Franklin, La., where it found its position, as maintained to the end of the war, in the First Brigade, First Division, 19th Army Corps. On March 15 the 'Red River march' began. Ten days brought the army, via Opelousas, to a three days' rest at Alexandria, Louisiana, followed by another six days march to Natchitoches, Louisiana, in the neighborhood of the enemy. Here on April 4, 1864, Lieutenant Fillebrown was appointed Aide-de-Camp upon the staff of Brigadier-General William Dwight, commanding the brigade. Mounted upon a four-year-old deep bay mustang stallion pony, which he had obtained for a trifle from an army drover, he participated in his first battles of Sabine Cross Roads and Pleasant Hill, April 8 and 9, and was honored and gratified by the personal compliments of Colonel Beal and General Dwight upon his behavior among veterans in those two regiments. General Dwight being immediately after made Chief of Staff to General Banks, was succeeded as Brigade Commander by Col. George L. Beal. Lieutenant Fillebrown, returning to duty with his company, was appointed, April 20, Acting Adjutant of his regiment, at Grand Ecore, La. Upon the return march of five days to Alexandria, the army left the burning village of Grand Ecore at one o'clock a.m., April 21 and took its way through a country literally in flames, fifteen blazing farmhouses, barns and mills being counted at one time. The 29th Maine marched forty-five miles its first day out, not making camp until 11 p.m. This haste was due to the cause, among others, that Porter's fleet was endangered by the falling if the Red River. The fleet was finally saved by the building at Alexandria of Bailey's Dam (for full account see HISTORY OF THE NINETEENTH ARMY CORPS by Col. Richard B. Irwin, Chapter XXVIII) giving water enough to permit the ten gunboats to drop down the river in safety. The 29th Maine, during the building of the dam, was encamped on the high bluff opposite Alexandria. Its location is thus referred to in a private letter written at the time by Mr. Fillebrown: 'We found ourselves in a beautiful camp ground, sloping toward the River, in an opening among the trees, mostly hardwood, and all green. In a short time you could scarcely discern the men's tents; they were so completely covered with trees and boughs set out. Sunday a Sergeant of Company C with five or six good men fixed up regimental Headquarters. There is a row of white oak trees from three to four inches in diameter, set into the ground, in a line some five rods long in front of the tents to shade them.' Lieutenant Fillebrown was at the time taken ill with chills and fever, but sitting up in his tent, he saw the swaying smoke-stacks of the gun-boats as the passed through the narrow channel. Here at Alexandria the 29th Maine was joined by its immortal Chandler's Portland Band. This record, scant as it is, would be unpardonably incomplete, if it failed to mention Solomon Barber, a colored 'boy' of twenty four, a black among Congoes, who, beginning at Alexandria, April 25, 1864, performed his duty as Fillebrown's hostler and 'body servant' with absolute devotion until he married and left the service at Darlington, South Carolina, April 9, 1866. Lieutenant Fillebrown, with his chills and fever, was despatched May 13, on the Starlight, to the St. James Hospital at New Orleans, a trip of ten days. After three weeks in the hospital, and three weeks as an 'out' patient, boarding at a Mrs. Laws' on Carondelet Street, he returned to his company. A thirty-six-hour steamer trip brought him to Morgania, La., at four o'clock in the morning of July 2, just as his regiment was going aboard the magnificent river steamer Henry Ames to be carried to New Orleans. From New Orleans the regiment sailed, July 5, on the steamer Clinton, under sealed orders, to Fortress Monroe, and thence to Washington, where it arrived July 13, the day following 'Early's Raid' on that city. The 19th Army Corps came to be known as 'Harper's Weekly,' on account of its weekly marches to and fro through Harper's Ferry; but it soon found itself a permanent part of SHeridan's Army of the Shenandoah. On August 1, Fillebrown was again appointed on the staff of General Dwight. Dwight's Division, the First of the 19th Army Corps, comprised three brigades - seventeen regiments - with about 5000 men. With this division the Lieutenant participated in the Shenandoah Valley Campaign battles of Opequan, September 19; Fisher's Hill, September 22, and Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864. With the approach of winter the division moved back to Camp Russell, near Winchester, Virginia, where, on December 1, 1864, Lieutenant Fillebrown was returned to his regiment, and was mustered in, December 13, as First Lieutenant. The absence of his Captain then left him in command of the company. On the last day of the year his regiment moved to Camp Sheridan, Stevenson's Depot, near Winchester, and built - mostly of large black walnut logs split once and edged - substantial winter quarters. On February 12, 1865, he was appointed Acting Assistant Adjutant-General of the brigade, then commanded by Brigadier-General Beal. On March 22 he was succeeded in this office by Major John M. Gould, but was retained as Aide-de-Camp on the same staff. Winter quarters were broken on April 3, but the brigade still remained in the vicinity of Winchester where its rejoicing in the surrender at Appomattox, April 9, turned to bitter mourning over the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, April 14. On April 21 the brigade reached Washington, having met on its way the Lincoln funeral train en route to Springfield, Illinois, and established headquarters at the house of a Mr. Deihl, at the rear of Fort Lincoln, across the Bladensburg Pike. Here Mr. Fillebrown spent a month in seeing the sights of Washington, and especially the many great armies then centering there. After the great review at Washington, May 22 and 23, in which all the armies participated, Lieutenant Fillebrown was again appointed, June 1, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General of Beal's Brigade, Dwight's Division, succeeding to the office and handsome red mount of Captain Kinney of the 116th, N.Y. On the same day the division began to embark for a year's garrison duty in South Carolina, landing at Savannah, Ga. During a week's stay there, as General Dwight did not again join the division, General Beal was in command of all the troops as they arrived, and hence fell to the Lieutenant to officiate as Adjutant in an imposing brigade parade of eight regiments in double column. From Savannah, the 15ht and 29th Maine, 30th Massachusetts and 1st Maine Battalions, proceeded to Georgetown, South Carolina, whence, under the command of General Beal, they were distributed to the eleven districts or counties constituting the Military District of Eastern South Carolina, Third Separate Brigade, with permanent headquarters at Darlington. On July 12 Lieutenant Fillebrown made his first and only application for promotion. He asked Governor Cony for a vacant majority in the 15th Maine of the same brigade. Though Fillebrown's application was approved by Lieutenant-Colonel Murray, commanding the regiment, and also endorsed by General Beal as follows: 'I can earnestly approve the application of Lieut. Fillebrown and request that if consistent he may receive the promotion he desires, he being competent for any position in the regiment,' the application was wisely turned down in favor of a thoroughly competent Captain of the regiment. For ten months Fillebrown continued as Acting Assistant Adjutant-General of the district and brigade under command first of General Beal, and later of Brig.-Gen. W.P. Richardson. Gen. W.L.M. Burger, Adjutant-General of the Department of South Carolina, was so good as to pronounce the monthly and tri-monthly reports from the Third Separate Brigade the most complete and satisfactory of any received at Department Headquarters. Lieutenant Fillebrown was, about this time, commissioned Captain, but he was unable to be mustered on account of the depleted numbers of his company. On the 9th of April he was relieved to join his regiment at Hilton Head, preparatory to mustering out. Here he served at various times, usually as recorder, on numerous Boards of Survey and Councils of Administration. On April 20 he was again appointed, by Col. Nye, Acting Adjutant of the regiment, and so continued until its first muster out tow months later, June 21. On June 22, 1866, the regiment embarked on the steamer Emily B. Souder for New York, and was finally mustered out on June 26, at Hart's Island, New York Harbor. On the 25th of August he received a commission as Captain by brevet, to rank as such from March 30, 1865, for 'faithful and meritorious services during the War,' signed by Andrew Johnson, President. His uniform, sword, sash, war letters, commissions, orders, etc., may be seen at the library of the Commandery of the State of Massachusetts Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, Cadet Armory Building, Boston."

He was released from active duty in the Army of the Potomac by Honorable Discharge. circa 1866.(6678) Charles was listed on the MIT roll as a student in Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1868.(6679) After the War he spent "a year and a half more of schooling at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and at Brant & Stratton's business college."

Charles was employed at Jordan, Marsh & Company as a clerk in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts circa 1868.(6680) He began a dry goods career with this wholesale dry goods dealer located on Winthrop Square.

Charles was a member of The Morpheus sing group in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts after 1868.(6681) "He was from 1868 a member of 'The Morpheus' an amateur club of a dozen male voices. In the years 1869-70 he sang in the quartette choir of Hawes Place Unitarian CHurch, South Boston, and in 1870-72 in that of CHanning Church, Newton, in what is now (1910) Armory Hall. He was a member of the Handel nad Haydn chorus, 1869-72, and for ten years a first tenor, among sixty male voices, in the Apollo Club of Boston. Although no musician he found his chief luxury for many years in having frequent assemblies in his house of piano, voices and strings."

Charles was employed at Sargent Brothers & Company as a clerk circa 1869.(6682) Charles was employed at N.W. Farwell & Son as a clerk circa 1872.(6683) Charles resided in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1874.(6684) In 1910 it was stated that "He has resided at Newton, Mass.., since 1874. His house on 'Mount Ida,' has during that time, by successive enlargements, been doubled in dimensions, under the creative genius of Mr. George F. Meacham, architect of CHanning Church and Eliot CHurch, Newton."

Charles was employed at Sargent Brothers & Company as an owner circa 1874.(6685) "From 1874 to 1876 he was a partner in the wholesale dry goods firm of his former employers, as purchaser and in charge of the cotton and print departments. At the end of 1874 he found himself charged with the 'hiring of the help' of the house for the following year, involving a reduction of the standing payroll of $258,000."

Charles was employed at C.B. Fillebrown & Company as an owner and operator April 1, 1877.(6686) "Without capital, he built up a successful dry goods manufacturing and commission business."

When Charles was age 34 and Mary Louise Hall was age 36 they became the parents of Louise Jackson Fillebrown September 22, 1877 in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.(6687) Charles was employed at Glenary Knitting Mills as President in Woonsocket, Providence County, Rhode Island circa 1881.(6688) "This enterprise, one of his own conception and inception, from small beginnings grew to have a capital of $400.000 - of which one-half was accumulated profits - besides enjoying a respectable surplus. In its early years it had the liberal patronage of the rubber companies, who were indirectly represented on the Board of DIrectors. The hard times following 1893, and the practical concentration about 1900 of the purchases of the rubber companies, who were the principal consumers of its product, into the hands of one or two buyers, made dividends for this period uncertain, and naturally reflected upon those responsible for the business. Meantime, although the old management had resigned in 1901, it took a committee of the directors two years to replace it with a new one. The new management, when installed in 1903, at once adopted two radical reforms that for two years had been strongly urged by the old, viz.: to sell direct and save commissions, and to reduce capital stock from $400,000 to $200,000. Nevertheless, following the change, the company soon fell upon much more troublous times, and with a four years' 'loss in business' (1906-1909) of a hundred thousand dollars, it surrendered to the inevitabler and went into liquidation in the fall of 1909. It is not claimed that any ordinary agency could have averted this denouement, but the fact that the 'old' had held its own, while the 'new' deteriorated rapidly, indicates that the trouble was deeper than one of administration. In further justification of the 'old management' it should be recorded that it at once achieved substantial success in establishing a new manufacturing business now (1910) prosperous and growing."

Charles was a parent of Margaret A. Clifford October 24, 1881.(6689) She was "adopted, though not legally."

Circa 1892, Charles, a Universalist, was a member of the Newton Universalist Society in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.(6690) "Mr. Fillebrown was for twenty years a member of the Newton Universalist Society. He served twelve years as superintendent of its Sunday School, and at various times as clerk, treasurer, and as chairman of its board of trustees."

Circa 1893, Charles, a Church of Christ,Scientist, was a member of the First Church of Christ, Scientis in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.(6691) He was still affiliated with the church in 1910.

This is a bit of history.(6692) "In 1896 Mr. Fillebrown installed in his native town of Winthrop, Maine, in memory of his father, a dozen substantial granite watering troughs."

Charles was listed as the head of a family on the 1900 Census in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.(6693) Charles resided in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1908.(6694) His brother, Thomas', funeral was held in Charles' home.

This is a bit of history.(6695) He was well known as an advocate of the Single Tax.

Charles was a member of several organizations in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts circa 1910.(6696) "Mr. Fillebrown is a member of Post 62, Grand Army of the Republic, and a companion of the Massachusetts Commandery of the Loyal Legion; is a member of the Twentieth Century Club, and is one of the Board of Managers of the Industrial Aid Society."

This is a bit of history.(6697) "Mr Fillebrown has achieved a considerable reputation as an earnest advocate of the Single Tax, having thought, written and spoken on the subject continually for a dozen years. His temperate and conciliatory method of presenting his plan was widely recognized as a notable and happy instance of 'irenic propagandsa.' And hence a somewhat detailed account of this part of his work may be of interest and value. (He made one hundred and seventy-five or more addresses before churches, church classes, clubs and men's clubs.) Mr. Fillebrown was five years president of the Newton Single Tax Club. It is a noteworthy fact that during his presidency the sisty-eight meetiongs, held usually at his residence, were noticed by each of the three Newton weekly newspapers, with an average of a column and a quarter to eachj paper. The full record of these meetings is preserved in bound newspaper volume, entitled, 'Proceedings of the Newton Single Tax Club 1895-1899.' Mr. Fillebrown was treasurer of the Massachusetts Single Tax League 1892, and its president 1899 to 1909. He promoted with all the ability at his command all plans for the agitation and advancement of the cause and at his instigation, aided by devoted Single Taxers, and by shining host who were not Single Taxers, the league embarked in 1906 upon a series of unique propaganda dinners or banquets, as they were called. The plan was carried out in almost literal accordance with the plan as first submitted and adopted by the league, and resulted in a series of nineteen such banquets coveringthe decade from 18965 to 1907. Of the value of this twelve years' campaign an editorial observer writes, with perhaps more friendliness than discrimination, as follows: 'I know that what you have already accomplished is themost remarkable achievement ever wrought within my personal knowledge by any one man in the promotion of a great reform. Your methods and their results will long stand as pattern and inspiration to reformers in coming time.' These banquets awakened great interest, and the Boston press, especially the HERALD, GLOBE, ADVERTISER, POST and TRANSCRIPT, and the SPRINGFIELD REPUBLICAN were most liberal in their news reports, most of them being cautiously hospitable also in an editorial way. Mr. Fillebrown

He wrote a book titled A Single Tax Handbook, December 12, 1912 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.(6698) "This brief compendium is designed to help both student and general reader to an apprehension, first of all, of those fundamental principals of taxation that must govern in any system, and secondarily, to an understanding of the incidence of taxes upon land values as scientifically deducible from these universal principles."

Charles Bowdoin Fillebrown and Mary Louise Hall had the following child:

child + 999 i. Louise Jackson9 Fillebrown was born September 22, 1877.

Table of Contents graphic Return to Table of Contents or Index

Go to Next Page GraphicGo to Next Page

Go to Previous Page GraphicGo to Previous Page